A worm/virus (W32/Bagle.j@MM) has been annoying some of our users recently by impersonating the Resist! Collective by effectively impersonating official sounding addresses like firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com etc. and emailing users messages which indicate they are in danger of having their resist.ca email account shut down or giving them some other reasonable sounding excuse as to why they need to open an attachement included in the email.
We will NEVER send you a message that requires you to open an attachment for any reason. Do not open such an attachment. In general, NEVER open an attachment sent by email unless you are expecting it AND it comes from a trusted source. Email addresses can easily be faked.
This is happening on many email servers around the world and does not mean that resist.ca has had it's security compromised in any way.
Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
To see the latest detailed information about how this worm operates you can visit:
Thanks and Play Safe,
the Resist! Collective
The message-bodies of emails containing this virus are constructed with several parts, to effectively customize the email, to make it appear to be a legitimate warning notification. The details are as follows:
From : (sending address is spoofed/faked)
* E-mail account security warning.
* Notify about using the e-mail account.
* Warning about your e-mail account.
* Important notify about your e-mail account.
* Email account utilization warning.
* Notify about your e-mail account utilization.
* E-mail account disabling warning.
* Dear user of (user's domain) ,
* Dear user of (user's domain) gateway e-mail server,
* Dear user of e-mail server "(user's domain) ",
* Hello user of (user's domain) e-mail server,
* Dear user of "(user's domain) " mailing system,
* Dear user, the management of (user's domain) mailing system wants to let you know that,
(Where the user's domain is chosen from the To: address. For example the user's domain for firstname.lastname@example.org would be "mail.com")
Main message body -
* Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of unauthorized access.
* Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two days, to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure our free auto-forwarding service.
* Your e-mail account will be disabled because of improper using in next three days, if you are still wishing to use it, please, resign your account information.
* We warn you about some attacks on your e-mail account. Your computer may contain viruses, in order to keep your computer and e-mail account safe, please, follow the instructions.
* Our antivirus software has detected a large ammount of viruses outgoing from your email account, you may use our free anti-virus tool to clean up your computer software.
* Some of our clients complained about the spam (negative e-mail content) outgoing from your e-mail account. Probably, you have been infected by a proxy-relay trojan server. In order to keep your computer safe, follow the instructions.
Attachment explanation -
* For more information see the attached file.
* Further details can be obtained from attached file.
* Advanced details can be found in attached file.
* For details see the attach.
* For details see the attached file.
* For further details see the attach.
* Please, read the attach for further details.
* Pay attention on attached file.
Password information - (if received as a ZIP file)
* For security reasons attached file is password protected. The password is "(five random numbers) ".
* For security purposes the attached file is password protected. Password is "(five random numbers) ".
* Attached file protected with the password for security reasons. Password is (five random numbers) .
* In order to read the attach you have to use the following password: (five random numbers) .
* The Management,
* Best wishes,
* Have a good day,
* Kind regards,
The (user's domain) team http://www.(user's domain)
(Where the first part of the closing is selected from the list. The second part is always present.)
Attachment: (May be .EXE .PIF or .ZIP)